Our philosophy at Cardiff University Press is ‘Rigour, Diversity and Relevance’. We are committed to academic publishing excellence, and our governance model ensures adherence to the rigour and high standards associated with traditional academic publishing.
Open Access and licences
We are currently a Diamond Open Access publisher, offering all our publications free of charge to readers. We do not charge authors and editors for publishing journals with us.
We apply Open Access licences using the Creative Commons. The editor of each title can choose either CC-BY (Attribution) or CC-BY-NC-ND (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives) as its default licence. We allow authors to opt for either licence for their own work, enabling them to ensure UK funder compliance.
Research data statement
The University Research Integrity and Governance Code of Practice policy which was approved by the Senate in April 2015 includes requirements for open data and states:
“Subject to legal, ethical and commercial constraints, all publicly funded research outputs and data should be made openly available in a timely and responsible manner and in an appropriate format at the end of the research project.”
Cardiff University researchers can contact email@example.com for more information.
Our procedure for reviewing applications for publication is as follows:
- All applications for publication of a title or series are reviewed by our Editorial Board and may be sent out for additional, external peer review. We may also request further details or clarification from the applicant.
- When the Editorial Board has received sufficient information, it will make the final decision and the applicant will be informed accordingly.
- Peer reviewing arrangements for individual journal articles and working papers are the responsibility of the editors concerned. All articles and papers must go through a full peer review process before they are published.
- All of our journals follow COPE guidelines. You can find out more about our peer review policy here.
Archiving and preservation
- We currently host all of our content on Ubiquity Press, our chosen hosting platform. We also deposit the full text of all Cardiff University Press publications in ORCA, the University’s institutional repository.
- ORCA displays download statistics, altmetrics and Google Scholar, Scopus and Web of Science citation data. Reports are also available via our hosting platform, and basic statistics of DOI usage are available via Crossref, our DOI agency.
- We have signed an agreement with Portico to preserve our content, and we are in the process of registering with Sherpa Romeo and the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ). This will provide even higher levels of preservation security and increase the visibility of our publications.
- Cardiff University Press is a fully Open Access publisher of academic research. Copyright of the articles published by Cardiff University Press is retained by the original copyright owner.
- All work is published with the CC BY or CC BY-NC-ND Creative Commons licence and the licence is clearly indicated in the article PDF.
- Authors are permitted, without embargo, to deposit their articles (including pre-prints and post-prints) online, e.g. in institutional repositories, in pre-print servers or on their webpages, as long as they link to the published version via DOI when the DOI becomes available.