Focus and Scope
Martial Arts Studies is a peer reviewed online open access academic journal that publishes the highest quality academic work on any aspect of martial arts studies. Its aim is to foster the most informed cross-disciplinary discourse on martial arts via the cross-fertilization of perspectives. As such, it encourages interdisciplinarity.
The journal publishes both themed and open issues. All contents are subject to peer and editor review. New issues are published every Spring and Autumn.
Issues of this journal are published biannually, in Spring and Autumn.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Authors of articles published remain the copyright holders and grant third parties the right to use, reproduce, and share the article according to the Creative Commons license agreement.
The journal’s publisher focuses on making content discoverable and accessible through indexing services. Content is also archived around the world to ensure long-term availability.
- Journals are indexed by Google Scholar and available for harvesting via OAI-PMH.
- DOAJ registration will be completed for our journals on an individual basis as soon as possible.
- To ensure permanency of all publications, this journal utilises the Portico service to create permanent archives for the purposes of preservation and restoration.
- Journal content is also made available via Cardiff University’s institutional repository, ORCA.
If the journal is not indexed by your preferred service, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively by making an indexing request directly with the service.
- Cardiff University, School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies
- The Martial Arts Studies Research Network
Martial Arts Studies is produced by a dedicated team that is committed to providing the highest quality publication in this area of studies.
Martial Arts Studies was founded by Paul Bowman and Benjamin N. Judkins, who are both established academics, respected scholars and experienced practitioners of martial arts. Their shared aim is to stimulate and publish the highest quality scholarship in martial arts studies.
The team is completed by PhD student editorial assistants, the designer Hugh Griffiths, and the assistance of an eminent international editorial advisory panel, made up of academic experts from a wide range of disciplines from universities all across the world.
In light of this combined expertise and creative energy, the journal was signed by the innovative publisher of cutting edge open access scholarship, Cardiff University Press.